Research and Development Division
R&D is strategically-positioned to Support the entire Oil and Gas Value Chain and be a One-Stop-R&D-Shop for the Industry and it boasts of Highly-Skilled and Experienced Personnel.
R&D has a wide range of specialized and State-of the Art Laboratory Equipment.
R&D is registered with the Nigerian Petroleum Exchange (NipeX) as a Supplier of Services.
R&D laboratories are accredited by the Federal Ministry of Environment (FMNEnv.) and Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR).
R&D is NIS ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality Management System.
R&D is the NCDMB -appointed Coordinator for Nigerian Research Clusters.
To be a world-class Research and Development Centre driven by innovation and quality.
Carry out Research; Develop Technology and Provide Laboratory Services in the Oil and Gas industry.
The NNPC Research and Development Division (R&D) was set up in 1977, to solve the operational and technical problems of the Oil and Gas industry through the application of the results of scientific research and the development of technology.
NNPC R&D has continuously rendered technical services and carried out research work for NNPC, its joint venture partners, Oil & Gas industry players, the universities, Government Agencies and other sectors of the economy. The list of our clients continues to grow as we strive to reach out to corporate organizations and other third parties in the industry.
NNPC Management is committed to repositioning R&D Division in the front line of petroleum technology development efforts. Accordingly, huge investments are constantly being made in the procurement of broad range of state of the art equipment at our facility. To further reposition R&D for efficient service delivery in the industry, the Division recently moved from 4- 9 Moscow Road, Port Harcourt, to a more spacious site in the Life Camp of EPCL Petrochemicals complex, under the Ventures Directorate.
NNPC R&D has the state of the art equipment in her laboratories in the country and the Sub-Sahara Africa. Our services are cost effective, reliable and competitive. We also maintain our clients’ confidentiality.
In the fast-growing business environment of today, NNPC R&D is equipped to rigorously support the oil and gas industry operations nationwide and in the Sub-Sahara Africa.
Activities (Laboratories Services)
- Routine and Special Core Analysis
- High Resolution Biostratigraphy Studies
- Field Development Studies
- Reservoir Fluid Analysis (PVT) Studies
- Geochemical and Geophysical Studies
- Reservoir Simulation/Characterization
- Basin Studies
- Petroleum Source Rock Evaluation
- Reservoir Simulation
- Formation Evaluation/Damage studies
- Reservoir Characterization
- Formulation of Drilling Fluids from local raw materials
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Total Crude Assay
- Determination of Boiling Point Range using High Temperature Simulated Distillation (HTSD- SIMDIS) Gas Chromatograph
- Crude Characterization and Finger-Printing.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Studies/Consultancy
- Post Impact Assessment Studies
- Environmental Compliance Monitoring of Effluent Discharge in Drilling and Production locations
- Mandatory Impact Mitigation Monitoring
- Environmental Evaluation Report
- Environmental Audit
- Air Pollution Monitoring/ Studies
- Petroleum Products Testing
- Bioremediation/ Pollution Studies
- Analytical Chemistry Solutions
- Toxicity Studies
- Water Potability Testing
- Biodegradability Studies
- Petroleum Products Quality Assessment
- Vegetation studies
- Ecological Monitoring of Aquatic Ecosystem
- Benthic Studies
- Wildlife and Fisheries Studies
- Chromatographic studies
- Water and Specialty Chemicals Analysis
- Petroleum and its products characterization
- Elemental quality evaluation of water, soil, crude/product samples by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry
- Water compatibility Studies for well secondary recovery operations etc.
- Research Areas & Potential Results:
- Depositional Pattern of the Maastrichtian- Campanian Sediments in the Anambra Basin: To obtain knowledge of the hydrocarbon depositional potential of the basin.
- Palaeoecological Dynamics in the Campano-Maastrichtian Deposits in Anambra Basin using Faunal and Floral Signals: To obtain knowledge of the hydrocarbon depositional potential of the basin.
- Development of Shale Maturity Model for Niger Delta, Bida Basin and Upper Benue Trough: To obtain knowledge of the hydrocarbon depositional potential of the basin.
- Development of Geo-Mechanical Model for the Niger Delta Basin and other Sedimentary Basins in Niger: To obtain knowledge of the hydrocarbon depositional potential of the basin.
- Reservoir Detection and Characterization: To improve the accuracy in detecting and characterizing hydrocarbon reservoirs in deep and ultra- deep water areas.
- Enhanced Oil Recovery: Maintaining future levels of production to increase the oil recovery factor at existing field by methods of enhanced oil recovery.
- Well Drilling and Field Development: New well drilling methods in order to perform safer and more energy efficient drilling activities, 4D seismic, sophisticated reservoir modeling and smart wells.
- Non-Conventional Hydrocarbon: Development of advanced technologies for the extraction of non-conventional hydrocarbon through mining.
- Refinery Operations Optimization: To drive improvements in performance of operating assets and technology, product offerings (product portfolio), and business processes.
- Enviro-Conscious Oil and Gas Exploitation: Technological solutions related to environmental issues in oil-field development in view of growing environmental consciousness world-wide.
- Exploration risk and resource assessment of the Nigerian Frontier Inland Basins
- UNIDO Technical Assistance in the establishment of a cleaner catalysis R&D laboratory and master Plan for Petroleum Research Centre (PRC)
- Develop and deploy a unique technology to manage pipelines and other surface facilities in Nigeria
- Renewable energy research (Biofuels production) from non-staple foods
- Develop data base for Nigerian Crude Oil types (unique Crude Oil Finger Printing)
Port-Harcourt: NNPC Life Camp, EPCL Petrochemical Complex, Eleme Road, Eleme, Rivers State.
Abuja Liaison Office: Block D, MZ, Room 059, NNPC Towers.
Telephone: +234-8033586443; +234-7034155551; +234-8035553024; +234-8145465195; +234-0946084915